Many Clear Lake, WI homeowners are looking for ways to keep their families and homes as safe as possible from fires. Of course, most people understand the basics of fire safety, but they may be unaware of the most common causes of fire in the home.
Below, we’ve outlined the top 7 causes of residential fires. Read about them and learn how to prepare for these dangers in your own home.
1. Space Heater Use
Space heaters can be especially dangerous when used in the home, which is why it’s important to keep space heaters away from flammable objects at all times. In particular, always keep a 3-foot radius around space heaters that are turned on. Moreover, never leave the room when the space heater is in use.
2. Cooking in the Kitchen
Kitchen cooking accidents happen all too often and are a common source of home fires. In fact, kitchen fires are the number one source of fires in the home.
To help reduce your risk, never leave the room when cooking on the stove, especially when frying or sautéing. Additionally, always keep flammable objects far away from the stove top. This includes removing aprons, dish towels and cloths, hot pads, oven mitts, and curtains from areas where there is high heat.
3. Cooking Outdoors
Outdoor cooking can be equally as dangerous as indoor cooking. To reduce your chances of fires outdoors, always keep your grill clean. Grills with buildup can cause fires quite easily. Additionally, never grill too close to your home as siding, decks, and porches can catch on fire and grow out of control in no time.
4. Build-Up of Lint in Dryer Vents
Dryer vents may seem benign, but they can be a source of home fires as well. The buildup of lint in dryer vents can easily catch fire when there’s too much, and constant heat is running through the vents. Clean out your dryer vents or have them cleaned out by professionals on a regular basis.
5. Flammable Liquids and Liquid-Soaked Rags
You may be surprised to know how many flammable liquids are actually in your home. Paint, paint remover, turpentine, and other household products like cleaners can cause fires that go unnoticed until it’s too late. To stay safe, always store your flammable liquids safely, and never leave piles of flammable liquid soaked rags lying around as they may spontaneously combust.
6. Overloading Electrical Outlets
Electrical outlets need to be paid attention to as well. Make sure that you never overload electrical outlets. If you can, consider using AFCI outlets in your home as these can detect faults in currents within your walls and stop electricity from causing fires.
7. Careless Candle Use
Lastly, make sure that you watch candles at all times. Candles are pretty, but they can cause fires in the blink of an eye because they’re open flames. Always keep children and pets far away from candles, and make sure that other flammable objects like furniture and curtains stay far away as well.
Ensure that your loved ones are aware of these common causes of home fires. It’s the first step to protecting your home and ensuring the long-lasting safety of your family. For additional information about fire safety or to learn how you can further protect your home, contact Lillie-Couch Insurance today.